Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bunnys Bunnys Everywhere

We had not initially intended to start raising meat rabbits so quickly.  It was in the long term plans to have meat rabbits, however we were still in the research stage when a family member asked me if we would like the two that she had purchased for her kids as pets last Easter.  Being who I am, I said yes of course (I have great difficulty saying no).  When they purchased them I had attempted to sex them and thought that she had two males and one female, she lost one along the way.  Since she had them for about eight months and had not had the pleasure of having babies I assumed that I had been mistaken when I sexed them.  It was after all the first time I have ever attempted to sex rabbits.  She said that she thought that she had two females, so our plan was to purchase a male this spring and breed them.  There turned out to be no reason to get a male as I was actually very accurate when I had sexed them.

And so the rabbits did what rabbits do best...

On the morning of January 26th while doing chores, we discovered six tiny babies.  Having never seen a new born rabbit I was surprised at just how small they are.  And then just as surprised at how quickly they grow.  We now have 6 beautiful babies.
5 weeks old


Needless to say the male rabbit "Thumper" was quickly removed from the hutch and given his very own bachelor pad.  However we discovered this past Friday afternoon that he had not been removed quickly enough because we found six new born baby bunnies. 

And that is how easy it is to go from 2 rabbits to 14 in just over two months!

No comments:

Post a Comment